New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:10:52  Show Profile
hi all need some advice got a royal python 2 weeks ago shes 3 months old,problem is she wont feed ,last ate at shop on 7th june.has she gone to long without food?

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:19:05  Show Profile
she may still be settling in...sometimes it can take a little time..

how old is she?

what is her set up like?

how are you controlling her temps?

have you handled her since you got her?

what have you tried when you did try to feed her?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 24/06/2009 20:19:24
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:19:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Momo, first of all, don't worry. A snake of one of the forum members just ate this week after ~150 days, it was adult so could last longer than a hatchling, but 2 weeks really isn't a problem.

Since you've had it can you tell us what interaction you've had and what and when you've tried feeding.

Also, could you tell us about her setup, have you got a photo?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:32:55  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
we're all asking about your set-up as if it's not right and your new Royal is stressed then the first thing they do is go of feeding

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:43:04  Show Profile
thanks folks she is 3 months old. we bought her from a very repectable reptile shop for my daughter.we were told to keep her in a snake starter box basically a big tub with airvents and lids.untill shes 6 to 12 months old.she has a heat mat warm end and other end cold warm end is set at 82-90 with her hide at warm end.we have a thermostat for controlling temp.she is being handled every evening for about ten minutes.she does seem to be afraid in anyway the oppisite very friendly.her diet is rat pups which we offer her in the evening but she seems scared when we show her it.
Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:45:44  Show Profile
i meant doesnt seem afraid to be handled lol opps
Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:48:16  Show Profile
maybe i need to put in a log or some greenery to make her feel more secure
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:49:22  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
I'm sure everyone is going to suggest these and I took peoples advice and mine started feeding. I'm only new and its nice to be offering advice that the kind folks on here gave to me.

Have you got a cold hide?

I wouldn't recommend handling her until she is feeding regularly

Finally.... how often are you trying to feed her?

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:50:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mo, the first thing I would say is stop handling. I wouldn't handle a new Royal until its had 2 consecutive feeds (at least one anyway). I wouldn't even handle an adult Royal more than twice a week, it may not seem it, but over-handling can cause stress which in turn could stop it eating.

I would also say don't offer food more regularly than every 5 days as this too can stress it.

Have you got a photo, your setup sounds fine, although 82-90 sounds a wide range?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:50:52  Show Profile
it would be a great if you stopped handling her completely till she has fed at least three times in a row..

how often have you tried to feed her and what are you offering?

was she feeding ok at the shop?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:02:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

it would be a great if you stopped handling her completely till she has fed at least three times in a row..

we offer rat pups everyevening then leave it in over night,should i take it away after that or just leave it in beside her.
will take your advice and leave her untill she gets a feeding routine,and will get her a hide for cold area can make a make do one for now.as far as i know she fed allright thanks for the help x
Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:07:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Hi Mo, the first thing I would say is stop handling. I wouldn't handle a new Royal until its had 2 consecutive feeds (at least one anyway). I wouldn't even handle an adult Royal more than twice a week, it may not seem it, but over-handling can cause stress which in turn could stop it eating.

I would also say don't offer food more regularly than every 5 days as this too can stress it.

Have you got a photo, your setup sounds fine, although 82-90 sounds a wide range?

i shall not offer her for 4 days or so then see what happens.
this might be a silly question but the room we were going to keep her in my other half thinks is to cold,would the heatmat and thermo not compensate that.she is in the kitchen at the mo which might be too noisey .

Edited by - momo on 24/06/2009 21:08:17
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:08:03  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
My new royal wouldn't take it out of my hand at first but when left in overnight he had eaten it. Now strikes immediately. If it is still there in morning I would take it out and try in a weeks time. A week with no handling too.
Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:10:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 337smile

My new royal wouldn't take it out of my hand at first but when left in overnight he had eaten it. Now strikes immediately. If it is still there in morning I would take it out and try in a weeks time. A week with no handling too.

i really thought id done my homework before buying gizzmo the snake but just goes to show this will be learn as we go for daughter and myself.
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:11:24  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
A kitchen may not be the ideal place, I'm just imagining lots of noises, light and smells. If you add this to being handled everyday and trying to be fed everyday the she is probably a little stressed. Don't worry, once you cut out this stress i'm sure she'll start feeding again. Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:12:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by momo

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

we offer rat pups everyevening then leave it in over night,should i take it away after that or just leave it in beside her.
will take your advice and leave her untill she gets a feeding routine,and will get her a hide for cold area can make a make do one for now.as far as i know she fed allright at the shop thanks for the help x

Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:14:38  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
[/quote]i really thought id done my homework before buying gizzmo the snake but just goes to show this will be learn as we go for daughter and myself.
[/quote]

I felt exactly the same. I've kept boas, rat snakes, king snakes, corn snakes and garter snakes but still needed advice with royals.

Its worthwhile putting the effort in and listening to advice because despite my initial panic (when I almost returned him to the shop) he is now eating regular and is my favourite snake i've ever had .
Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:14:55  Show Profile
going to move her tonight to my bedroom were she'll get piece and quiet,poor thing
Go to Top of Page

momo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:20:06  Show Profile
cheers keep u posted mo xx
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:22:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good luck Mo, keep us posted

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:57:57  Show Profile
MO, dont try a feed for seven days, just leave her totally alone only change her water

then see what happens

good luck...and keep us posted..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000