New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shiftylou
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  20:32:07  Show Profile
I have a male and unsexed royal both 9weeks old, can they be kept together in the same viv? they both are feeding well

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  20:45:43  Show Profile
hullo and welcome :D

generally it is not advised to keep them together for many reasons.
1: they will need to be fed seperately
2: you will not know who has pooped and who has not
3: if one has mites, the other will too.
4: they *can* get stressed
5: (one point i am not too sure on....) if one gets an RI the other might (someone will have to confirm that though)
6: males can mate from an early age, where as females can get eggbound if the mate before they are big enough, resulting in high vets bills and possibly death.

of course if the unsexed one is male too, there will be no probs with getting egg bound.

if they come from separate places they will need to be quarantined away from each other for a MINIMUM of 3 months (guideline, some will say 6 months, others longer etc etc)

a lot of people keep them together and have no problems, it is a choice of the keeper though.

Edited by - MissCat on 29/06/2009 20:47:01
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  20:55:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Short answer, yes they can, ideal answer (as for reasons listed above), no they shouldn't.

Royals get no known benefits from shared housing.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  21:01:55  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
as above really and you have to think of there heat regulation is the enough hides at the right temp as they do grow fast if feeding well.

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  16:00:25  Show Profile
i keep my two boys together and they are fine, people dont reccomend it but i would seperate mine if any problems began to develope, my boys eat fine and arnt bothered by eachother, as said if they are from different places they willc need to be quarrantined and you will nedd to have them both sexed cos you dont want an eggbound snake, its expensive and not only stressful to you but also to the snake which will lead to future problems etc... make sure you go through all the precautions first before you put them together

My Pets:
1.0.0 Royal Pythons-Kiros
0.2.0 leaopard geckos- bella and spot
1.0.0 german giant bearded dragon- frankie
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  16:05:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by aimee87

i keep my two boys together and they are fine, people dont reccomend it but i would seperate mine if any problems began to develope, my boys eat fine and arnt bothered by eachother, as said if they are from different places they willc need to be quarrantined and you will nedd to have them both sexed cos you dont want an eggbound snake, its expensive and not only stressful to you but also to the snake which will lead to future problems etc... make sure you go through all the precautions first before you put them together

For instance, if you came down one morning and one was half-swallowed?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  20:00:11  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

i keep my two boys together and they are fine

are you sure you have 2 boys....................?
my (usually excellent) LRS cocked up sexing a snake for me last year and my 2 'females' made an immaculate conception and a clutch of eggs, could have lost the little girl as she was so very small............... is it really worth the risk?

like others have said there's absolutely no benefit to the snakes............

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  20:01:40  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by shiftylou

I have a male and anunsexed royal both 9weeks old

definitely not worth the risk!

i'm not against co-habiting, i'm against irresponsible pet ownership.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  21:14:16  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:

For instance, if you came down one morning and one was half-swallowed?

lol,good ol' blackecho,he's got a way with wordstrue though

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Edited by - lee2308 on 30/06/2009 21:15:09
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  08:58:56  Show Profile
I've recently seen photos where someone had been keeping two snakes in the same viv and one ended up as lunch. Granted it was a royal and a boa, but they were approximately the same size. I wouldn't risk it.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  09:07:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, I didn't mean to be flippant, but I know of someone who had been co-habiting for 10 years before he had a problem.....

Just not worth the risk imo.

Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  13:01:54  Show Profile
maybe i will need to get another set up then..... no problems

My Pets:
1.0.0 Royal Pythons-Kiros
0.2.0 leaopard geckos- bella and spot
1.0.0 german giant bearded dragon- frankie