New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CliffW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  22:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As previously mentioned, Honey stopped feeding on 17 Dec. Since then she went from 461g to 416g (14 Jan). That's nearly 10% in four weeks, which worried me. So last night I decided to try and tempt her with a 'light snack' (a 25-30g fluff), left in the viv overnight. But when I was putting it in, she came out of her hide and started showing interest, so I held it nose to nose and she struck! Ratty has now gone and Honey is sleeping off her meal!

This is my first experience of the dreaded fast, so what I want to know is: Is that it? Fast over? Back to usual feeding routine (ie out of viv so she doesn't swallow substrate with meal)? Or do I need to go steady, with smaller meals, in the viv, for a while?

1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal (Pretzel)
0.1.0 Normal Royal (Honey)

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2014 :  22:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it could be the fast over but sometime's the will take the odd feed during the fasting period.

did she poo between the 17th dec an 14th jan?

i feed all of mine in the viv long as the rat is dry they wont take down much if any substrate

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

CliffW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  13:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris - yes she did poo but only about 5g I would think, so still a worryingly rapid weight loss - It seems as if you suggest I feed small and in situ for a while and I was already thinking that way - but she swallowed a sturdy-looking piece of aspen with the fluff on Friday (I'm hoping the wood softens inside her, although I don't suppose it'll be digested!) - I tell myself that they must swallow all sorts of crap in the wild and survive - perhaps if I switch to a less woody substrate eg Aubiose, there'll be less risk of damage?

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  13:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah not a huge poo then yea it'a a bit to lose in 4 week's just keep a close eye on the weight as your already doing.
i tried auboise ages ago but found it more woody than aspen an too absorbent for my liking as would see it stuck to the snake's mouth just from them moving around the viv

one of my old royal's split a rat and ended up eating a mouth full of aspen an didn't cause any problem's they digest teeth an bone so a but of wood wont cause much problem's

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

CliffW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  21:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - I'll maybe stick to aspen then!

Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2014 :  02:19:06  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the aspen as its a lot softer and smaller that other substrates. Although when they miss the rat and end up with a mouthfull of aspen, they tend to look a bit stupid until they manage to clear it out.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

CliffW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  16:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing the fast's over and I've got off pretty lightly (only 5 weeks)! Honey fed again this morning, very enthusiastically! She missed with the first two strikes, which has never happened before. Could this be because I fed her in the viv, which has a ceramic lamp? The lamp was about 20cm from her when she struck and both misses were in the direction of the lamp. This is the only thing I can think of that could have upset her previously deadly aim!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000