New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2014 :  23:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Havent posted in a while, I know there hasnt been a lot of activity but ive still kept an eye on the forum.
Anyway Juju started his usual fast in November. He's never really gone much over 1kg and never really dropped much below either, so its nothing to worry about. Anyway got him eating again a week ago. Normally I wouldnt try him again after a week, but I thought I would give it a go and my Boa can pick up the slack if he leaves it.
So offered him the food and he was immdeiately interested. He struck the multi and missed quite terribly (hes never had a good aim). Following this he lost all interest in the multi and proceeded to do a few laps of his viv (he normally does this at night time). I left the multi in for him but he went and settled under his hide. So before I went to bed I decided to warm multi up and offer him again off tweasers, this time he went straight for it coiling it up. I could hear bones crushing it was so aggressive!!

So my main observation that I was wanting to compare is that Juju seems to lose interest quite easily if he misses on his first strike, has anyone else noticed this?

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2014 :  04:35:46  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our spider, bless her, tends to miss more than she hits then looses interest. Normally if we leave itit in her viv she gets to it later. Sometimes though if she hasn't eaten it by bed time I've reheated and she gets it in a good tight hold before ramming it down.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2014 :  08:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My royal is on bis first fast since about end of November/december. When he does eat has has missed a couple of times very badly, almost as bad as some of the spider misses I've seen on YouTube! Then it's as if he sulks and won't bother with it again!
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2014 :  08:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My het pied always misses and never floor feeds, I have to offer it 3-6 times before she eats it and she'll only eat it if she strikes right on the nose

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Derek FRS
Yearling

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2014 :  15:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be lucky my royals usualy get it first time but sometimes they do miss (and catch my hand) but it doesnt put them off they are straight back to there rats :)

BUILD NO:2553 :)
Go to Top of Page

PythonManDan
Yearling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2014 :  20:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Albinos always miss, they're pretty much blind!
When some of mine were younger I had it happen regularly. They'd immediately strike, miss and retreat back into their hide to then poke their head back out as if confused?! Then after maybe a couple of attempts of reofforring they'd usually take it. Someone did tell me once that when you offer the food and then take it away it triggers them into feeding mode and some snakes take abit longer to get into that mode and some times the initial strike is out of surprise/defence. Don't know if there's any truth in that though.

4.0.0 Normal, Pastel, Champagne & Albino Super Pastel Royal Pythons
0.3.0 Pastel, Spider & Albino Spider Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
0.1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
1.0.0 Diamond Python
2.4.0 Leopard Geckos
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2014 :  22:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is it just royals with terrible aim? most my other snakes seem alright. A retic got my hand once instead of food, but they are usually bang on every time.

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2014 :  04:45:26  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My royal. He tends to try and strike for it. Misses and leaves it. Sometimes he'll even strike. Grab it and drop it and then go into his hide. It's crazy to be honest. Other times he feed spot on.

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 German shepherd- Riley
0.3.0 Cats- Does not matter they won't come to you
1.0.0 Red Footed Tortoise- Nemo
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
0.0.1 Brocky- Bearded dragon
Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2014 :  06:17:27  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Saru, our male tic can be so eager at feeding time that he will lunge right across his viv mouth open and go right past his rat. Not a mistake he makes twice though.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2014 :  18:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My male retic has great aim, he hits the rat every time. The thing thats odd is that he tends to just tag it 3-4 times until you hold it really close to him then he grabs it!

My female on the other hqand is so eager she got me once. Didnt hurt, but ive been a lot more careful since.

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: