Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cluckstar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2016 :  19:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I hope someone can help me.

We are looking at getting a Snake, a corn snake at first but think we might want a Royal Python and have brought a Monkfield Terrainium, large size with heat mat. Will this be suitable for a Python?

Many thanks
Claire

PythonLeeJackson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2016 :  22:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya, exciting time then..! The forum doesn't seem to be visited often these days as people seem to have migrated to Facebook. I have a 3ftx18inx18in Monkfield viv for my Royal, but I use a ceramic heater and guard connected to a pulse proportional thermostat and digital thermometer. I used a heat mat & stat underneath/outside a plastic faunarium when my RP was a baby, but I don't know if it will be enough to raise the temp in a large viv with substrate. I would also suggest you take a look at the Royal Python.co.uk Care Sheet on the front page, which warns that using heat mats inside a viv can cause burns due to thermal blocking. If anyone else on the forum uses just a heatmat in a large viv, hopefully they'll post a reply for you. You could set up your viv and run it for several days, monitoring the low/high temperatures and see how it goes, but it will not answer the issue of burns. I just prefer to be safe:) Here's a link to a sticky posted by Lotabob about setting up an RP viv, which might help you: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8279&SearchTerms=sticky

Edited by - PythonLeeJackson on 21/02/2016 22:45:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000