Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 I'm a little bit stuck ... (retained shed)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  13:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, everybody, I have a young male normal cf royal, born Apr/May 2010. He's very laid back, eating and growing well, weight 125gm. He's had two sheds since I got him at the end of July (he went into blue a few days after he arrived) and both sheds have been pretty scruffy ones; however a bath helped clear up that problem (I found Miss Cat's bathing sticky very helpful.)

What is bothering me is that he has a tiny spot of retained shed on his back. We're talking miniscule here - 2mm or so! I'm afraid I don't know how long it's been there - naturally I handled him as little as possible at first. He did have another couple of similar tiny spots, but these have now disappeared. I've been reading as much as I can about retained shed, and I tried gentle sponging with a damp towel a couple of weeks back and got a few flakes of skin off. I didn't want to overdo things, though, and hoped the rest might disappear with today's shed, but unfortunately it hasn't.

What I need to know is: Should I be trying to do something more about this, or is a spot of retained shed this small likely to gradually disappear with future sheds? I believe there is some stuff you can buy to ease off retained skin - ought I to try that? I'm quite willing to keep on sponging it every few days and he doesn't seem to mind, but is it worth pestering him with sponging and towelling for such a tiny spot?

Hope I've made sense here! Thanks in advance.

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  18:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The main areas of concern are the eye caps and the tip of the tail if all else is clear then I wouldn't worry too much, a bathe if necessary but that small a retention on the back will probably dry and fall off. Leave a wet box in the rub/viv and it will be fine. I have some shed aid and only use it if absolutely necessary and usually on the tail tip. I have never experienced this on a royal but my corn frequently retains her tail tip. The tail is important as a retention there can dry and constrict the tail and may cause damage and loss if left untreated.

Edited by - Robert on 06/09/2010 18:54:10
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  19:23:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can buy Shed Ease yes, but a damp flannel should do on an are that small. As above though, I wouldn't be too concerned if it was left there until the next shed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  20:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys, that's put my mind at rest!

Yes, I'm principally concerned about eyecaps and tailtip - I've always checked my corns' sheds first for that, and when Shahi, my royal, first shed, he got everything off except his last third. Today it was just a shambles and he did it before I woke; he had a big patch of retained shed on his head that made him look like a man wearing a knotted hankie as a sunhat - but the rest of his face was clear. He had several big ragged strips clinging to his body, and the last cm of tail was tightly in place. Luckily the bath and gentle towelling cleared all this up.

When I had defrosted his mouse - thought I'd let him shed before feeding - and brought him out to feed, I was pleased to notice that the tiny patch on his back had become much less opaque. I know I'm fussing but hearing stories about how necrosis can occur beneath retained shed, I was afraid of neglecting even a tiny patch. But it does seem to be moving, thank goodness!

And he struck and coiled and scoffed his mouse like a good'un!

Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000