Non feeding? - Borrow a hamster!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  12:18:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all, just thought I'd share an experience I have had recently regarding some of my non-feeders.

I have read of people's experiences before whereby a live rodent has been placed in the same room as non-feeding snakes (not for eating, in a separate cage) and has provoked a feeding response, but I have always sort of turned my nose up at it and put it down to coincidence.

Anyway, my neighbour went on holiday a week ago and I agreed to hamster-sit. I have snakes in 2 rooms in my house, with some non-feeders in both of them. When I say non-feeders, I mean not having fed this year rather than a week or two.

First of all the hamster (in its cage) went into a room where I have an adult male and an adult female that last fed in December 2009, after 3 days I offered them each a feed and both took it! - Coincidence I thought and a change in temperatures/daylight hours. So I offered the non-feeders in the other room (sub-adult male and female, female not eaten this year, male not eaten since Feb) and as usual they turned away from the food.

I moved the hamster into the room with these other non-feeders and 3 days later offered a feed again, both ate!

Is it the constant smell of food in the room or just the right time of year for these particular snakes to restart?

I haven't really convinced myself yet that it isn't still just chance, but thought that it may be of use for others to try if they're worried about their snakes.

PS. All 4 snakes were Royals.

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  12:30:03  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well thats sounds like a great idea you know ! one of my children want a hamster for her birthday on the 5th june so i will let you know if i get the same result , very interesting though but as u sed it it just a fluke or is it the presece of the food ermm not sure x

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  15:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think its coincidence, although I wouldnt say its gauranteed to work in every case.

Maybe the smell of there favourite food at nite, when everywhere is quiet and they are prowling is just to much temptaion for them to resist.

Go to Top of Page

Simonas
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  16:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doesn;t work for me unfortunatley cos my sons hamster is about 3 feet above and to the right of my royals viv!!

I;ve thought of feeding the hamsetrr to get it feeding!!! (joke)
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  16:32:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting Si, has it been there as long as the Royal?

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  21:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you may be onto something there I have a stack of 3 royals and if one eats then they all tend to want to eat too

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  02:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i might just have to give that ago BE and try and getting mine started again. i'll let you know how it goes

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  18:33:33  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have a hammy coming soon and also a month after that 2 rats incase the hammy dont work cant wait !!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  18:49:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
lol - good luck.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  19:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well didn't work for me and mine. ah well the wait continues.....

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  00:01:19  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well it did for me 3 days in and he ate on his own also my local rep shop has stopped selling gerbils for one of my others and as we placed a hammy in that room i thought well i can source them easy i'll give them a whirl now the old gal who has only ever eaten gerbils in 4 years and refused every thing took it a hammy within seconds of been offered need less to say i triped backwards and fell and bloody droped the hammy in shock as she was very aggressive , tried again and she strike fed with ease !

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  07:16:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great news Steph, might be worth seeing if you can convert the old girl to rats now that she's trying new things

Go to Top of Page

RusteDowg
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  14:39:13  Show Profile  Visit RusteDowg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think your right mate, although i had no major problems when i tried tubs on a fuzzie a week after getting him he didn't feed, after moving our gerbils into the same room he feed right away, i was thinking of defrosting the fuzzie drying it off then rubbing it on some of the gerbils bedding to give it a gerbil smell if he didnt feed again!
Would have been a bit distressing for the gerbils if they caught me doing it but worth it if it got tubs feeding, luckly for all concerned it didnt need to go that far lol!

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  21:30:15  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Got her on to a rat now only 1 but its a start

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  21:53:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good news Ruste and on the Rat Steph.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000