New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  11:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I gots another little problem with Tig. Well, I say that, but I don't know if it is or not...

Tig seems to have slowed down his growing. Not so long back it seemed like he was growing a foot a day! But now I can't really tell he's growing at all just by looking at him. I have stopped feeding him twice a week as advised and only feed him on a Monday, but he is now (fingers crossed) happy to eat his large mouses. And his breathing problems are tons better. The weezy/squeeky noises have nearly cleared up (there are still bad days) but I can still hear him breathing, like his nose is kinda bunged up. So I'm still on with his steam treatment for now.

Should I be worried about his growth rate? He seems perfectly happy and is now always eating on his feed day. Was it just a growth spurt that's slowed down again now? Am I being silly and worrying too much? 'Cause I'm good at that you know ; )

Just me and my zoo.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  11:36:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about size, they all vary. However, a large mouse will not be a large enough meal for long, how much does he weigh?

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  11:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how much he weighs, I've never done that myself. When he was at the vets they said he was spot on for his age though. I'm dyslexic, so numbers aren't exactly my strong point (or spelling, obvioulsy), so if he needs weighing I'd have to be told what I'm supposed to be doing...I've only just learnt about where the grams numbers are on my scales : /

No, I don't think the larger mouses will last him long, but I'm hoping to get him to take rat weiners soon (I just wanted to moving him up in sizes slowly so's not to freak him out). He's never had a rat though, but never offered him one either. But I don't think he's quite big enough for those just yet, the mouses are a bit smaller than the fattest part of his body though, but only a bit. I don't want to stuff him, you know? Should I try a rat weiner with him and see what that does? I can choose some out for him next Monday.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  13:41:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If he can take a large mouse he can take a small rat weaner.

Or, if you can find them and want something smaller, a rat fuzzy/fluff, but you'd be surprised what they can take.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  14:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, according to my supplier's table of weights, on average a small rat weaner weighs approx 36gm. A medium weaner weighs 46gm, and my largest mice (ex breeder stock) weigh the same as the medium weaners.

You could always ask the shop how much theirs weigh. And my sympathies with the scales - those things do my head in too!

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  10:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
X ) My mam gave me the scales and bought herself some new'uns 'cause she thought they might be easier for me to understand. But seriously, me and numbers... it's a lost cause.

Hmm, I might get him some rat weiners then. When he eats I can't see a bulge anywhere unless I hold him up, and then the mouse sorta makes his tummy sink down a bit (not that I do that all the time). So maybe he should be on something bigger. I suppose he can't be stupid enough to try and eat something that is clearly far too big for him! And people seem to say rats are a better food anyway?
I still have two of the bigger mouses though, so if he's not happy with a rat weiner then he won't go without.

I'll get some on Monday. See what he thinks.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000