The use of 'Shed Ease'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  15:59:40  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have had and probably always will have problems with one of my Royal Pythons and shedding. i have tried all the norms of damp hides, bathing and misting none of them work with this girl so 9 times out of 10 i end up using this method AFTER she has tried to shed her self.

Firstly purchase some 'shed ease' from good reptile stores or off the internet.
FIG.1

Then make up a bath (try to simulate a warm end of the viv temp. i.e 27-31c) for your snake as directed on the bottle mine says 10ml of 'shed ease' to every 16oz of water. (this will depend on the brand you get)
FIG.2

Soak your snake in the bath for the directed amount of time. ('shed ease' is 20minutes)

Once soaked start rolling back the loose skin. be sure to be gently and work from head to tail. I find it easier to start with a cotton bud once started i use my hands and try to let the snake go through your hands as if it were trying to shed naturally.
FIG.3

FIG.4

Around this point you may need to re-soak your snake for 1-5 minutes
FIG.5

You can see how the shed is rolling up as if the snake was shedding naturally.
FIG.6

When you get towards the tail be sure to take care around the cloaca as there is a scale under it. (Well at least there is on a Royal Python)
FIG.7

Make sure you have got all the shed off. Check the eyes and tail properly.
FIG.8

Hopefully by this time you have a nice smooth freshly shed shinny snake.
FIG.9

appoligies for some of the pictures quallity i was trying to do it quickly as not to stress my poor girl out to much.

If you have any further questions please ask away.

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  16:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you have been busy this afternoon SC, seen this on 3 forums lol! its a very useful post, my royal had a few problems with his shed before last and was a bit patchy. i used bathing and extra humidity but its nice to know there is an easy alternative. how is the snake through this procedure?

1.0.0 royal "ophion"
1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
0.1.0 coastal carpet python- "serendipity"
0.1.0 bunny rabbit (?) "Truffle"

RIP Prisma Pequeno- Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  16:31:34  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how does it work??? i now it does, just wondering, as surely its the water, what does the shed ease do???

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  16:35:19  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i believe it acts like a moisturiser and keeps the shed supple. if you just put water on a shed it drys very quickly thus making it harder to remove.

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  16:36:39  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ahhh ok, i just wondered how it affected it
i had heard very good things about it, but never used it myself

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 07/01/2011 16:37:03
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  18:00:33  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great post SexyChef

0.0.1 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  18:32:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice mate.

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  19:21:10  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
never used it even when new snakes have arrived with a retained shed , but as daft as it sounds i may have t get a ned one ( royal that is ) lol so i can try this out in fact thinking of this its been a while now ermmmmm got 2 empty viv all set up am going to use one as a incubator this season but think i may have to bend the truth to a certain hubby eg aww look i didnt see any egs and they are 2 hatchlings etc lol.

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  08:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried the spray version? Last time Feather had a retained patch she wasn't for being bathed.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000