Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Varnish?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  16:06:23  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently there is a snake safe varnish that can be used in vivs (home made ones). Anybody know what it is and where it can be bought?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  16:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I understand it, after reading past posts on this forum, any low-fume yacht varnish or similar is safe when completely dried out ie the heating has to be run for some time in the viv in order to bring out the last vestige of fumes, and the whole thing aired.

I'd personally use melamine and aquarium sealant, appropriately cured, on the joints.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  20:12:20  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats what i have come up with too, so yacht varnish is winning on my list so far.

Wanted to make the viv for Boris out of melamine faced board but the cost was the same as buying a brand new viv, so no saving. Now considering MDF with a varnished interior and painted exterior.

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  22:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used mdf sealer first, then varnish on top. It was just a normal varnish from wilkinson. You can use any low-fume varnish but it'll still smell inside for at least 3 weeks. If you want to get rid of the smell faster let me know.
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  20:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any Quick drying varnish (waterbased) would be ok I've used both wilkinson and ronseal best to use an mdf sealer first though its a lot thinner than varnish leave it a good 48hrs between coats, if you can varnish the panels unassembled they will dry out quicker then assemble and use aquatic sealent on all the joints as normal

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  22:20:24  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of dulux diamond glaze in stock, which is a water based, quick dry, floor varnish so think i might use that.
Varnishing before assembly is a good plan! Thanks guys!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  22:21:24  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Konrad.....how do i get rid of the smell faster?

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  17:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for late reply. If you want to try my method buy those small candles from asda or wilkinson. Put about 10 of them a time inside of the viv (in each corner, not too close to the walls of the viv) and leave only tiny little bit of your front door open (it'll be really, really hot inside). Every time after candles burn out open your viv for a few hours. Then light up fresh candles again and again and again. At first the smell will seem to be even more intensive but don't worry it'll let your viv to dry completely and much quicker. You can also use hairdryer in between. Keep your eye on candles (don't burn your house :D:D:D ). Good luck
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  20:17:56  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not such a bad idea! might try that!

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  22:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It worked with my viv. It was a bit risky to put snake into that viv but everything is fine. I even broke the rule about putting small snake into big viv but snake seems to be happier more than ever. The only "problem" is - he grow too fast and eats too much since I moved him there :D:D:D
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  23:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steer well clear of solvent based varnish if you want to use candles to dry it. It will be dry very quickly until the firemen spray it with water.

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  23:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To make it clear - I didn't mean to put candles into the viv straight after painting (this could melt down the varnish while still wet) and I was using T-light candles with an aluminium foil underneath. But if you are concern about that you can always make an appointment with fire brigade before you put the candles in :D:D:D
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  08:21:01  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm using water based so no explosions likely!

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  02:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would NEVER put a naked flame into a viv. Absolutely no chance on this EARTH!

If you do then dont even leave the room for a second. The amount of heat a candle gives off directly upwards, especially when theres no breeze or draught, is quite high and could EASILY create a hot spot on the ceiling of your viv and burst into flames. I know youve done this without any fires but Id say you have been very lucky. Please dont do it again! :-)

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000