Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
noticed monty was in blue last sat in the afternoon, seemed to have cleared up by monday. still no shed. he hasnt left his hide since. are royals any different to corns as our corns would have shed a couple of days ago by now.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not all corns shed straight away, same with Royals. Have you lifted the hide, I have heard stories of them somehow managing to shed inside their hides and rolling the old skin off like a sock, I think Duke is just starting to get a bit of a pink tail so the blue phase is hopefully on the way so I have all this to go through so let me know how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, they are all different and he'll get there.

It's a good idea, if you haven't done this, to put his water dish in the hot end - extra evaporation ie gentle increase of humidity - now his eyes have cleared he'll benefit from this, and to give him a damp hide. But no need to go overboard with spraying him or lots of extra humidity.

He'll know what to do.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, yes, Lotabob and I overlapped - he may well be concealing the shed in his hide - my Saada did this last time!

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just had him out of his hide to check for any shed. no luck!!! although had a good look at him and his eyes seem a little cloudy an one has what i can only describe as a dint in it. as if a dint in a ping pong ball if you know what i mean. guessing this is his eye caps an shedding will happen anytime soon. hope this is nothing to worry about and what i think is right.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I've never seen this but read about the dinted eyecaps as a sign of imminent shed.

Give him a bit of gentle humidity and he'll get there!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  21:35:32  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the eyes go clear after blue and before shed, could just be the intermediate period.

snake on wrist cant typeproperly..sorry
!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  21:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eye dints is a sign of not enough humidity (I think) the moss box/damp hide might be a good idea.

Edited by - Lotabob on 11/03/2011 21:37:03
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  22:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really struggling with the humidity in the viv he came with. was hovering around 30-40 % regardless of misting/second water bowl under ir bulb. swapped his beech chippings for orchid bark last sat when we saw him in blue and humidity shot up to 60% within a couple of hours. its now down to 40% probs due to the moisture in the substrate drying out. misted the viv bout half hour ago an lift it by 10%. tried the damp flannel, moss box etc to no avail. ordered a new viv exotic vx36 as the humidity in one of these with the corns is very stable an easily controllable. dont know what else to do to help him.
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  22:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have a brick of unused plantation soil that came with a exo terra starter kit. is this safe to try an use as a moss box.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  23:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard of people using it in a corner of their viv (sorry I cant remember who you were). I had a problem with low humidity but it just seems to have righted itself now the heating isn't on so much.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  23:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seems like the heating may be our problem as viv is next to radiator untill new viv arrives. the corns are in the kitchen/conservatory and humidity is not a problem. i reckon he may shed tonight, is it worth using the plantation soil. not sure it'll make any difference though as a large water bowl under ir bulb hasnt.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  00:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably why, any moisture in the air around a radiator is send skyward (well ceilingward).

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  08:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be carful using that soil, it's what I use for my giant snails and you'll end up with loads of tiny little flies everywhere! They come in the soil and there's no way of getting rid of them ; )

(that I know of anyway)

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  09:16:59  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think you can bake the soil at 160 degrees to kill bugs. Then moisten it again.
Microvave could work too.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Edited by - sandi on 12/03/2011 09:17:50
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  20:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just lifted up montys hide and we have a nice shiny new snake. bit of a messy broken shed but eye caps an tail have come off. just a few flaky bits on the top of his head and around his neck. he's just been in the bath with he seemed to enjoy especially being wrapped in the towel afterwards. going to feed him when rat is defrosted so fingers crossed he'll take it.

Edited by - 1982ltrav on 12/03/2011 20:21:17
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  20:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! Congrats!!

Good luck with the feeding.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  21:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok so monty struck within a second or so of been offered the rat. coiled it up fast and for the last twenty minutes ha been clamped on it sideways. tried to release him an offer head first but he will not release it for love nor money. don't think hes moved in the last ten mins.hes punctured the skin as there is a pool of blood on the kitchen roll. what shall i do if anything or leave him too it....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  21:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
omg aren't they awkward little gits eh?

Leave him to it - he'll shift it round by himself.

Snakes eh???

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Hatchling

63 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  21:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
half hour after strike finally eaten. tbh looked over an he just had the tail hanging out his mouth. gutted i missed him eating it but hey, well done monty.....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  22:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww bless him - knew he'd manage - though how they do it ...

Congrats Trav and Monty!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000