Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob101
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2013 :  11:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys,

I have had lecter now for 6 months, however he is still very jumpy every time anyone walks past his viv which is in my room.

He also doesn't seem to want to move much at all from his hide located on the warm side of his viv. (in saying that he was motoring round last night 30/12/13) he has struck at me once, but that was my own fault as he was going into shed of which I was unaware, he must have just seen a huge shadow approaching him and freaked out slightly.

do any of you guys/gals spray a water into the tank to increase the humidity when they go into shed? I find that Lecter sheds in a very patchy manner, which I think is due to the fact he doesn't come out of his hide much and simply roles about in his hide to remove his skin?

on noticing this I let him continue doing his thing then removed him the next day to see how much he had got off (which wasn't much tbh, so I decided to bath him in water to loosen the skin, he didn't like that much at all! :(

I dunno what to do for him, I don't wanna loose heart with him, cause he is a class creature!

P.S. never had this trouble with my corn ;P (blasphemy I know! lol ;)

any advice would be appreciated to help him chill out, and become more sociable! :)

cheers

Bob

Derek FRS
Yearling

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  04:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im no snake expert but I've been keeping snakes for around 4 years now and royals for around half that time and as for the shedding problems if you keep an eye on your snake you should notice he has gone into the shed cycle starting with a pink belly then going into blue (eyes going really cloudy is most noticeable) then after a couple of days there eyes turn clear again now there are a few tips and hints but what i do is i mist the walls of the viv down twice a day after the eyes have cleared and I've never had any shedding issues doing this :) and as for him being jumpy and a bit snappy regular handling should calm him down in time but having said that he may just be a grumpy sod :) as out of all my snakes my male pastel is the same as your guy he always hisses and has the odd strike at me when i have him out regular handling has done nothing for his temperament so i usually just let him be unless i have to get him out for cleaning and viv maintenance and checking him over after a shed but generally royals do turn really placid when they get regular handling and used to there surroundings

Hope this helps :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000