Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 How much weight is too much weight to lose?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  23:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm going through my first fast! I've had Sir Cuthbert just over a year now, he's usually a fantastic strike feeder. But he's been fasting since the beginning of October, I know this isn't massivly long for a royal. So I'm just wondering how much weight should he lose before I start worrying? He's lost about 30g so far now weighing 980g at the moment, is this a normal amount?

Also I want to start scenting his food with something he might prefer like a chick, or is there anything else anyone recommends? This might sound completely stupid but I've never had to even think about doing this before, so I'm guessing I just get the chick and rub it all over the rat?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

1.0.0 Royal (Sir Cuthbert)
1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
1.0.0 C0ckatiel (Baldwin)

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  07:16:30  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've heard that 10% loss is as much as they can sometimes lose before you should start to worry. We had a female that lost just over that before she started to eat again.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  11:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
30g is nothing for that weight.
Just a bit curious as to why you want to start scenting his food, you say he has just come out of his fasting, has he eaten, or is it that you want him to get back to the way he was before? Normally they are a little slow but from my experience if they are a good striker then after 2-3 feeds they get their appetite back quite quickly.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  17:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool well I'm glad I don't have to start worrying just yet Oh maybe I worded it wrong he hasn't started eating again, I did try last night and he seemed more interested iin it than usual which I guess is a good sign, but he still didn't eat. So far I've tried braining and I've put him down a food size.
Thank you for your replies

1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  18:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tried drop feeding?

I've had some strike feeders switch to drop feeding and, others that have gone the opposite way and started striking

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  21:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't actually know what drop feeding is?

1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  22:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put the rat in for them without waggling them at it. Leave it overnight.

They can lose more than 30 grams after going to the toilet. They very rarely lose much when fasting, they are remarkably energy efficient.

Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  23:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok cool I'll do that, I usually leave it in with him overnight after I've tried like normal, but I'll try just leaving it with him without taking him out of his viv to try first. Thanks guys

1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)

Edited by - Falice on 07/01/2014 23:29:35
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  17:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main thing to do is not stress yourself or your Royal out by trying to feed to much. Offer every 10 days and don`t try offering for too long. You will notice a change in his behaviour when he really wants food, he will become more active. You will become used to fasting and the bonus side is keeping them becomes cheaper
I`ve had a female go over 8 months and have heard of much longer so he will be fine.
On a personal note i wouldn`t try anything different to how you always used to feed him.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000