Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Rosie
Yearling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  23:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There are many reasons why you're snake may not be eating;

1. Is your snake due to shed soon (eg eyes going blue, colour dulling down) soon?
2. Has your snake been moved recently or home changed?
3. Are your Temps correct for both the hot and cool ends?
4. Is the Husbandry correct for you snake (size of viv, hides, greenary, not near tv's due to vibrations)
5. Is it winter time or breeding season as males do go off thier food in the winter

So after asking yourself all of these questions, this is what you do,

1. Weigh you snake and monitor for any weight loss over a period of time you feel comfortable with eg 1 week, 2 weeks, etc
2. Change the time period that you offer so instead of offering food once a week, offer once a fortnight.
3. Reduce food size that is offered for example if you are offering a medium mouse, try offering a small mouse.

here are a few tips for when offering food;

1. Warm up the food (hair dryer for a few mins until warm to the touch hot water - leave the food in the water (not boiling) for 15-20 mins until warmed through)
2. Brain the food (slit head open)
3. Leave food in viv, cover up and leave for 24hrs without looking, making sure the room is kept dark and quiet for a long period of time
4. Place snake into a tub and take it for a 15- 20 minute drive (this gets the digestive system going)
5. Scenting food (rubbing the food on things snakes find more yummy such as chicks, gerbils etc)
6. Placing on a jacket (skinning a chikc and placing the skin over food)
7. Offer different food types (gerbils, chicks etc)

If these methods fail it may be that your snake is suffering from illnesses such as internal parasites or other illnesses causing it not to eat. I would recommend seeking a vets opinion or having a faecal sample looking at (taking fresh poo into vets to try and identify internal problems).

There are 3 other methods you can use to try to get your snake to feed, but these are only to be done as last resorts and usually after being advised to from a vet.

1. Live food
2. Assist feeding
3. Force feeding

Of these methods live food would be the preferred and less stressful method,

As for the legality of this method, this is how it stands,

Live feeding is Legal, but only as a last resort before assist/force feeding, But if frowned upon by AR and RSPCA,(these will try to prosecute you)

But you are at a bit of a dilemma, as they will try to prosecute for 2 reasons,

1. cruelty to live rodent - when feeding live
2. cruelty to snake - if left to starve and die

therefore if you are going to feed live, you must do it in the privacy of you own home, without an audience and do not go advertising that you are doing it, Also DO NOT leave unattended, and only leave live food in for 15 - 30 minute period, and remove sooner if you see the food attacking the snake

If this still does not work, then it may mean you have to assist/force feed you snake, but this MUST be at the last resort stage as it can be VERY stressful for the snake and can harm the snake if not done by someone who does not know what they are doing.

I'd prefer people to contact me directly for instructions on force/assist feeding as it needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing as like I said, snakes can endure serious damage through it such as broken bones and suffocation. If you need instructions for this, please contact me and I will help as best I can whether its me showing you personally or giving step by step picture guides

Hope this helps and if I've missed anything out, please feel free to add!

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  06:47:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good work Rosie, lots of useful info in there.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
268 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got one started once after soaking the rat in chicken stock, wether is was the stock or coincedence

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals
1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  16:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one rosie

Go to Top of Page

royalboy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2008 :  19:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great work that really helped my revision on royals
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2008 :  20:08:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
1 thing I'd add to the list is the viv size. Royals are notorious for letting big spaces put them off their food.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2008 :  20:32:10  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think Lewy should definitely make this a 'sticky'

one thing thats seeming to work with Queenie at the moment is offering a mouse which he'll strike and constrict then leave, leave the mouse in over night then wiggle it infront of him first thing in the morning and he'll strike, constrict AND EAT!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2008 :  20:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange snakes, Im waiting for Zavvi to give me a challenge

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  19:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Grace took her first fed from me, I took her out of the viv and put her in a medium sized `Breeding Box`. She struck first time, constricted and ate. OK it took her some time, but it seemed to work and i will be doing that in the future

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  20:46:04  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great post,having a few problems myself latley

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Edited by - lee2308 on 13/02/2009 20:46:50
Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  13:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to tell how big a rat to feed my royal? I have given him pinkies and rat pups of all shapes and sizes, I have let him strike feed and take them from the floor of the feeding tub, all produces the same results: He gobbles it down with little or no hesitation. I do worry about whether or not I am giving him enough though, as the pinkies were definitely too small, hence the change to rat pups; some of which are massive and some of which are really small. I don't know his weight and haven't got any scales right now but he is still very young (The guy at Crystal Palace Reps told me he was born Dec '08) and looks pretty healthy.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  14:31:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Give them something roughly the girth of the snake.

Go to Top of Page

Squishy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  00:56:53  Show Profile  Send Squishy an AOL message  Click to see Squishy's MSN Messenger address  Send Squishy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
my royal was bought at around 18 months old and has never eaten anything but live food.

I don't know much about the previous owner but i think my snake was fed live from birth and i have been desperatly trying to get him onto thawed or even pre-killed rodents as my local pet shops know i have a snake that don't eat and wont sell me live rats.

To feed him now i have to take him into the shop where i bought him and he is fed in the back room but doing that is a hell of a hassle as i then need to take him to work with me a few days after that so i can get him home as the pet shop is shut by the time i finish work.

Anyway i have tried the methods described at the start and no luck. So does anyone have any more ideas.

I wan't to work with cobras.

http://huntersareus.ning.com/

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  08:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is not the ideal situation at all...

Have you thought about breeding your own rats...? That way you could slowly wean him off slowly by killing the rat just before offering itm and eventually fully convert it to F/T...

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  18:39:00  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you are causing him more stress by taking him to work,i know it is the only option but you wil have to find a supplyer for rats,try other pet shops and explain your situation you will find one.

Go to Top of Page

Squishy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  05:22:52  Show Profile  Send Squishy an AOL message  Click to see Squishy's MSN Messenger address  Send Squishy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
that is not the ideal situation at all...

Have you thought about breeding your own rats...? That way you could slowly wean him off slowly by killing the rat just before offering itm and eventually fully convert it to F/T

I know but not much else i can do. I'm considering finding somewhere else to stay so i can breed rats for him as i cant do it here. Also i don't know the first thing about rat breeding.

quote:
you are causing him more stress by taking him to work,i know it is the only option but you wil have to find a supplyer for rats,try other pet shops and explain your situation you will find one.

He don't seem too bothered at work anyway he sits in a nice dark corner of the room undisturbed by anyone and it's fairly warm anyway. I know it's not perfect but i can't see what else to do. As i said I'm considering moving out to breed my own anyway.
I wouldn't have bought him in the first place if i wasn't prepared to stick it out and overcome the problems he might have and I'm not going to pass him off to someone else just cause i have a bit of bother with him. I'll sort this problem out eventually but any other suggestions would be most helpful.

I wan't to work with cobras.

http://huntersareus.ning.com/

Edited by - Squishy on 12/06/2009 05:23:51
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:53:15  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
feel a bit stupid now after making the same topic more recently i had forgoton about this one even though i replied to it,my memory is terrible Will get some one to remove mine.

Edited by - lee2308 on 12/06/2009 13:00:33
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  15:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

feel a bit stupid now after making the same topic more recently i had forgoton about this one even though i replied to it,my memory is terrible Will get some one to remove mine.

leave yours where it is

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  16:09:18  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
gone now,i expect people thouhgt i was just copying,i had had alot of meds that day lol

Go to Top of Page

Vazzza
Yearling

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  14:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question about feeding outside a viv.

As i have read that you shouldn't handle your royal for 48hrs after feeding, how can you possibly feed outside the viv as you would need to handle to get him/her back in...

I'm sure i'm being really stupid and the non-handling only applies once digestion starts or something along those lines, but i just wanted to be sure!!

Cheers!

0.0.1 Royal Python
0.1.0 Girlfriend
0.0.1 Sister
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  17:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you dont cause the snake to bend or twist too much, its fine to pick them up and put them away.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000