Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  19:11:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As above, it just means pro-longed handling, moving straight from feeding tub back to viv should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

debbieleach
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  20:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Is it ok to feed one in a tub and the other in a viv?? Im also having reall trouble feeding one of my snakes, he/she hasnt eaten anyting for about 1 1/2 to 2 months now. ( i need to get her sexed again as i cant remember which is which...)
Any advice greatly appreciated!!

2 Royal Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  21:16:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I presume you mean they are co-habiting? - In which case this may be why one of them isn't feeding.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  21:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by debbieleach

( i need to get her sexed again as i cant remember which is which...)

Another reason not to co-habit

Go to Top of Page

debbieleach
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  08:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that one is def a girl and the other is def a boy. I have co-habited them since i got them when they wer about 3mnths old. they are fine together, always curled up in thier hide together, and they have never fought. Sorry to sound thick, but why would co-habiting them be a reason that one is not feeding?

2 Royal Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  08:31:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its very likely that one will become dominant and affect the other. Also, they could be thinking about breeding now, especially as co-habited. I hope the female is of a suitable weight or you may end up with a large vet bill or worse if she becomes egg-bound.

Go to Top of Page

debbieleach
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  20:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok. I'm going to take the one thats not feeding to my local reptile shop as he is the one who sexed them first time round, and see if he thinks he/she is of a ok weight and if i should be worried that its not eating. tried again last night with a rat that was the right size (same size as thickest part of its body) and she went up to it ''sniffed it'' then went away.
Thanks for your help guys

2 Royal Pythons
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  20:44:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As in 'thanks for your help and advice, I'm going to ignore it'?

Go to Top of Page

royal_mike_85
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  21:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all I've just this moment fed my royal she didn't strike her mouse so I left it in her rub and she took the feed. My query is for the 1st time since having her she took the mouse from tail end first is this ok for for the snake? Also I have a asben substrate would that harm her if it sticks to her food while she is taking it. Good thing she is feeding great
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:12:53  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
might be worth starting a new thread RM with your query rather than bringing an old one back from the dead?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

royal_mike_85
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soz I'm relatively new to the forum
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  05:55:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Royals hunt by heat as well as scent and sight, so if you want to help the snake get it the right way around, try heating the head up. A small amount of Aspen shouldn't cause a problem, but you could feed out of the viv or put something like a sheet of paper or a plate on top of the Aspen when feeding if you're worried.

Go to Top of Page

royal_mike_85
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  09:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I was only wondering if my royal would be okay taking it tail end. Will warm head up this coming Sunday
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  10:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of small tips (other than the ones already mentioned) for getting non feeding snakes nomming again, if anyone with a bit more experience than me can comment on it I'd be greatful, but it has worked on mine so far.
1. Take snake out for a quick drive in the car (by quick I mean no more than twenty mins)
OR
2. Pop snake and food item in a rub then place something that vibrates (e.g electric toothbrush) on the top (or tape to the side) and cover. Leave for no more than 40 mins but check every ten mins. This idea was courtesy of Christian Castille (though obviously I have summarised it and made it a little more...family friendly ;) )
Both of these methods have worked SO FAR without fail for me.
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  17:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get the "live feeding is frowned upon" bit.

A royal eats live rats. That's just who they are. They're not like Fido the dog who has been domesticated so that he will take dog pellets. Yes, we've gotten pretty good with pre-killing a rat and tricking the royal to eat it. But, it does not work for all royals.

There are tons of fish that will not eat flakes - just live fish. Is it frowned upon to own them in the UK?

Do they sell rat traps in the UK for those rats that happen to find a way to get in your cupboard? A royal python can strike and coil and kill a rat much more efficiently than a rat trap. Oh, and those f/t rats they sell in the UK - they were more likely CO2'd. That means they died by asphyxiation. There is no difference between rats getting oxygen-deprived to death and rats getting constricted to death. It's still a form of asphyxiation.

So yeah, I don't get it. Feeding live rats is just fine in the US. A lot of people feed f/t not because it is "cruel" to the rat to feed live but because a lot of people don't want to have to buy rats every week or grow some in their house.

What's even psychotic to me is that, I'm pretty sure that even in the UK, most people who see a snake crawling around in their backyard will immediately get a shovel and whack it's head off. Talk about cruelty...

Okay, back to topic.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  18:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

I don't get the "live feeding is frowned upon" bit.

Its called "Political Correctness" basically the last government gave in to all the minority groups to get them on side.These include groups of do gooders who have nothing better to do than complain at people hobbies because they have a set prconception of what is involved (usually completely wrong). Down with democracy, and destroy common sense by blaiming someone else if you have a problem. Country sports were frowned upon despite the fact that if you hobby is in the countryside your going to be more interested in looking after it.
I need to stop now otherwise i`ll go into a crazy rant. See you got me going.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  19:08:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think the main issue is that there is a risk to your snake feeding live where there is none feeding f/t, so why take the chance?

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  20:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So long as the snake can happily feed on frozen mice I don't see the problem, I'll admit I'd be intrigued to watch Valhalla eat a live mouse but it's not worth putting her in harms with even if it's only a 1% chance anything bad would happen, can always watch it online xP

If however the snake won't eat frozen then I don't see the problem in feeding it live mice, it's the natural food source it's not as if you're keeping your snake by unnatural means.

I guess people presume it's cruel as if the mouse is going to be petrified for the last moments of it's life -shrug-

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  22:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I think the main issue is that there is a risk to your snake feeding live where there is none feeding f/t, so why take the chance?

Blackecho, I value your opinion but this is a myth.

The risk of a proper live feeding versus proper f/t feeding to a snake is the same.

The risk of improper live feeding versus improper f/t feeding is also the same.

There is risk involved with f/t - 1.) prey not completely thawed leaving the snake's belly cold and preventing proper digestion., 2.) prey left out too long to be rancid (ok for scavenging snakes but not for royals)., 3.) prey left in the freezer too long to have lost a lot of its nutrients., 4.) snake refusing to eat on scavenger mode, ... Among others.

But, as you all know, all these issues are mitigated by proper feeding practices. This is the exact same thing for live feeding. There is wrong way and there is a right way.

With that said, I highly doubt the stigma was created "for the benefit of the snake". I think it is safe to assume it is for the benefit of the rat.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  22:30:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen a snake bitten by a live rat, I've never seen one bitten by a dead one. Yes there are other risks with f/t, such as proper defrosting and quality etc, but these can be controlled by us. A snake missing or not striking and being bitten by a scared rodent with large teeth we cannot control.

Personally, I would feed live if I decided I had to, without any qualms, but as I don't, I won't and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to new snake owners.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000