Page: of 5

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  05:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I have seen a snake bitten by a live rat, I've never seen one bitten by a dead one. Yes there are other risks with f/t, such as proper defrosting and quality etc, but these can be controlled by us. A snake missing or not striking and being bitten by a scared rodent with large teeth we cannot control.

Personally, I would feed live if I decided I had to, without any qualms, but as I don't, I won't and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to new snake owners.

You must not have fed live in your life. I have for over 2 years now. We CAN control whether a snake gets bitten by a rat or not. Especially if you grow your own rats or personally trust the source of the rats to guarantee their quality. Live feedings are supervised. You don't leave a rat in tub and leave like f/t feeders do, unless you are feeding fuzzies to hatchlings.

There are 2 posts in another stateside royal forum where the hatchlings died because it refused to eat f/t and the pet store they got the hatchlings from "did not recommend" live feeding to the "new owners". Be careful there. New snake owners are prone to just follow recommendations without further question to the point that the snake dies in their hands.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 21/09/2010 05:16:10
Go to Top of Page

evo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  20:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When putting rats in hot water do i actually put it in the water or immerse in a tub ?

evo
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evo

When putting rats in hot water do i actually put it in the water or immerse in a tub ?

Its up to you, you can put them into a tub of hottish(shouldn`t burn your hand or it will start to cook the rodent)water with a lid on or do what i do and put them in a small plastic bag / freezer bags are good. Then into the warm water with a lid on to keep the rodent dry.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

evo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  19:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that.

evo
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  19:31:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Hodgie.

Go to Top of Page

evo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  17:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he,s not ate for six weeks now and isnt moving around much,does look a bit dull,may be shedding how long does this last ? gonna try feed him a warm rat later see if he takes it.

evo
Go to Top of Page

Sabriyyah
Snake Mite

Qatar
40 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  18:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is feeding outside of the viv a better option? still haven't fed my snake and want to get it right for her. she seems to be ok in the viv - coming out to 'sun' herself each day.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  19:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the substrate, but for the first couple of feeds I wouldn't handle at all so would have to feed in the viv.

Go to Top of Page

Sabriyyah
Snake Mite

Qatar
40 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  16:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after 4 weeks of not feeding my lovely new royal has just struck at a brained mouse making me jump clean out of my skin and drop the mouse! She then opened her mouth very very wide as if yawning and settled down to sleep again. I have turned the lights off and will leave the mouse until the morning as above. I so hope she will eat it tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Sabriyyah
Snake Mite

Qatar
40 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  03:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well that didn't work. after half an hour of dangling and trailing the mouse around, her hissing and doubling in size, she struck - at me, three times! absolutely no interest in the mouse and now is hissing at me if i go near the viv. hmmm - what next i wondeder?
Go to Top of Page

Sabriyyah
Snake Mite

Qatar
40 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  09:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG - she did it! I left her alone feeling pretty dejected (me that is). Just went to have a quick look and to take out rejected mouse and I found her in the act of swallowing! I feel great! Hope she does too! What a relief! Now I know what to do - brain it, dangle it around for a while and then leave her to her own devices. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  19:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sabriyyah

OMG - she did it! I left her alone feeling pretty dejected (me that is). Just went to have a quick look and to take out rejected mouse and I found her in the act of swallowing! I feel great! Hope she does too! What a relief! Now I know what to do - brain it, dangle it around for a while and then leave her to her own devices. :-)

Thats great news, she'll prob just strike on her own next time, just dont drop the mouse
After next couple feeds shouldnt even need to brain the mouse. anyhow good luck with next feed.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  07:57:28  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats great, at least you now if she refuses next week then if you leave it in her cage she will eat it on her own

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Sabriyyah
Snake Mite

Qatar
40 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  15:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tried sharing my happy news with some friends but they just didn't get it - glad to have this forum to shout 'hurray' to :-)
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  17:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They never do.
If there not snake heads i don't even mention em

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

NandKdev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  09:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,It's been 2 months now and everything was going well but now Monty's refusing his feed, 5 days over due. I've tried wriggling it around and he has been very interested but then is more cautious of watching us and the open viv door!

So tried braining the rat, I think I done it right, I just took a knife and sliced a slit in the top if it's skull, is that right? still no take, so I left it in there over night to his own devices, still no luck. so I waited 4 days tried with a fresh rat and after having a good old lick, he just went and hide in his hide.

We have recently changed the supplier of rats, do you think it could be the fact that these rats have a different smell to the ones from the shop we bought him from (like me fiancée says, "I can always tell when you buy the cheaper sausages!)? Or is it just that it's winter and he doesn't want to eat?

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

1.0.0 Royal Python - Monty
1.0.0 Yemen Chameleon - George
0.2.0 Dwarf Rabbit - Poppy & Lola
1.0.0 Budgie - Charlie
1.0.0 Siamese fighter - Lil Blue
0.0.2 Newts - Chris & Louie
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  10:01:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
5 days is nothing at all, especially at this time of year.

Just keep offering once a week and if he refuses, weigh him and check he isn't losing too much.

Put it this way - I have a male that fed fine in 2009 and has fed just 6 times in 2010 and has kept a constant weight, he's fine.

Go to Top of Page

NandKdev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  18:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, i tried heating the rat today, but over did it bit, guts sliced open, he was very interested, but still no take, im leaving it in there while i pop out and if not try again next week. thanks again

1.0.0 Budgie - Charlie
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  19:10:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you're trying too often, you'll only stress it out like that.

Go to Top of Page

NandKdev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  21:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Monty shed about 4 days ago now, but he still refused his feed! I've warmed the rat, brained it and left it there over night in the dark and quiet but still no take! He is still really active and alert when handling him and looks happy, but it's at point where I'm beginning to worry. How long after a shed is he likely to eat?

His last feed was 8th Decemebr, he went blue eyed around new years and shed about 4 days ago, i offered food on Monday and left it overnight taking it out Tuesday.

Should I worry? any other tips?

1.0.0 Budgie - Charlie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly