Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  21:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont worry, 6 weeks isnt much to them.... as long as you dont see any major weight loss then he`ll be fine

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

watty1100
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  20:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how long do you give it before you start to panic. Bought a 2 year old royal sex unknown about 3 months ago and i have only got him to feed once on 6th march 3 weeks after i got him. At first i wasnt too woried as a few of my male corns wernt feeding and was told it was common at this time of year.He weighed 649g when i got him and is now down to 584 but still looks quite bulky. He lives in a 84ltr rub and i have tried allsorts, feeding in his rub in a seperate box warm mice/rats cold mice/rats, dancing them with tweezers, leaving in box i even moved him away from my other snakes incase that was putting him off. Most of the time if you offer him a feed he just nicks off over the other side of the box without intrest. He is always quite active but has only shed once.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  20:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have an active royal, thats unusual in itself. Has it lost much weight during its fast? How was it kept before you got it?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  20:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Watty, I have a 2 year old cf girl who I bought in Nov 10. To begin with she was a great little feeder, even striking at the viv window when she saw her rat, but she's fed exactly twice since Jan 8. Before her last meal on 25/4 she had lost 40g - I'm assuming she will have regained that weight with her meal.

This what royals do, the awkward little gits. Their minds are on sex and they live on their fat, so to speak, rather like hibernating bears, except royals don't hibernate; they're lovesick.

Your royal will start eating again soon, and so will my naughty Saada, I hope. Good luck to us both and everyone else with an obstinately fasting royal.

Go to Top of Page

watty1100
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  21:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if i find out the sex of my snake and put it with another snake do you think it might kick off the feeding cycle again. The thing is i have 23 corns of various gender so i know what works with them but this is my first royal.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  21:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - it might give the snake a thrill but it's not necessarily going to start it feeding. And if the snake's female she needs to weigh 1500gm and be in her third winter before she breeds, otherwise she could be in serious difficulties with eggs. No, it's just a question of waiting, and then they start feeding again. I thought it would never happen with my other two (it's been my first experience of royals fasting too) but they're eating again - I hope!

You have corns? Well you'll know exactly what I mean about lovesickness. My adult corns have been terrible, terrible ...

Go to Top of Page

watty1100
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  09:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The things we put ourselves through for our snakes. After trying loads of things to get my royal feeding i thought i would take him for a ride in the car as a few people have mentiond that it works. Anyway i was taking it quite steady as i had a snake in a big plastic box on the pasinger seat, looks in the mirror and i have blue flashing lights in it. ****.

Pulls over and the officer says we have pulled you over becouse you are driving eratticly. Sorry says i as i was keeping an eye on my python. Excuse me says the officer, yes says i he wont eat his tea and i thought a drive might make him hungry. Ok said the officer would you mind blowing into this bag sir. Luckily they saw the funny side of it and i got away with it, then got the little **** home and he still wouldnt eat.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  19:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watty1100

.He weighed 649g when i got him and is now down to 584 but still looks quite bulky. He lives in a 84ltr rub and i have tried allsorts, .

I`d say his rub is far to big, down size straight away, i dont know what sizes are available but mine go into 33ltr heavily filled rubs when they hit the 1kg mark.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  19:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watty1100

The things we put ourselves through for our snakes. After trying loads of things to get my royal feeding i thought i would take him for a ride in the car as a few people have mentiond that it works. Anyway i was taking it quite steady as i had a snake in a big plastic box on the pasinger seat, looks in the mirror and i have blue flashing lights in it. ****.

Pulls over and the officer says we have pulled you over becouse you are driving eratticly. Sorry says i as i was keeping an eye on my python. Excuse me says the officer, yes says i he wont eat his tea and i thought a drive might make him hungry. Ok said the officer would you mind blowing into this bag sir. Luckily they saw the funny side of it and i got away with it, then got the little **** home and he still wouldnt eat.

LOL!

May the force be with you!

Go to Top of Page

scorpio
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  20:00:37  Show Profile  Click to see scorpio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi i'm having trouble feeding my new royal would appreciate any suggestions hes opening his mouth and coming to smell but won't strike and eat no matter how long i'm wiggling it for him. He's 4' long and the people i got him from were feeding him large rats could these be too big for him?

scorpio
1.0.0royal python monty
2.1.0cats clayton bob cleo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  20:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the rat's girth is no larger than his, then that's fine.

However, he may just be settling in and it may take a while before he's ready to eat. Also at this time of year some adult royals are going into the yearly fast, which is normal, as it is their mating season and their mind's on other things.

One thing you could try is a smaller prey item. I have a cb06 girl who I got a year ago. She should have been on medium rats every fortnight but was only eating mice. I got her on to rats this year but a week or so back I offered her her first medium rat, and despite accepting small rats, she refused. However my younger female refused her large weaner today so I tried the 06 girl with it ...and she took.

Also I've never seen her eat. The rat, its nose well-warmed with a hairdryer for 30 secs, has to be left outside her hide and then I have to leave the room lol. Bizarre, but it works!

Hope this helps - they are awkward little gits eh?

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  20:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try-
Downsizing your rats a little
Allowing the rat to thaw out close to the snakes viv/rub
Use a hair dryer to warm up the food item near the snake.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

scorpio
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  20:41:06  Show Profile  Click to see scorpio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanx

scorpio
1.0.0royal python monty
2.1.0cats clayton bob cleo
Go to Top of Page

missycupcake
Yearling

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  23:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my prince came to me saturday and today his eyes have gone blue and colour seems to be dulling , so hes probably due to shed , he refused food saturday which is his normall feeding day , how long hsould i leave him before i try a feed

cb10 royal female

cb08 royal male
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  02:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Until he's shed

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

sultanheart
Yearling

United Arab Emirates
182 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2011 :  04:03:47  Show Profile  Visit sultanheart's Homepage  Click to see sultanheart's MSN Messenger address  Send sultanheart a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
great info... thanx a lot!!

1.1.0 royal python(Rasha & slinky)
0.0.1 box turtle
0.0.1 water turtle
2.1.0 canary birds
1.1.0 budgies birds
Go to Top of Page

Foxysausage
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  11:19:09  Show Profile  Visit Foxysausage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How long is it ok to leave food in? I don't want it going rancid or him getting stressed by it's presence.

I threw out after one night leaving it in.

1.0.0 Royal - (King) Arthur
0.0.3 Corn - Chops
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  12:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxysausage

I threw out after one night leaving it in.

thats long enough

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Foxysausage
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2012 :  16:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Foxysausage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much hodgie:) I didn't think it was good to leave them any longer.

We bought a 24L RUB (purely for the high sides) to use as a feeding box as he climbs out of any other one we have!
Hoping to line the outside with paper and set it up as somewhere to feed him. Idea being the isolation with food will entice him to om-nom-nom :)

1.0.0 Royal - (King) Arthur
0.0.3 Corn - Chops
Go to Top of Page

coxcats
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
584 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  19:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been feeding my snake roughly every 7/8 days. He has gone from mice to rats in the last fortnight. The last 2 feeds he hasnt struck at them, just sniffed them, opened his mouth and dragged them off the log. Is he just being lazy? I feed him in his viv.

Royals - Sas, Boris & Ria
Boas - 1 called Titch until we can think of a name for her!
Cats - Felix, Becky, Max & Willow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000