Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  18:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There is 2 main brands of thermostats which are readily available from most shops and websites which are 'Habistat' and 'Microclimate'. As to which one you choose is down to personal chioce.

Types of stats:

Mat Stat: This is a basic stat that is used to control heat mats upto 100w. It is known as a on/off stat. Not suitable for bulbs.

Temperature Stat: This is basically the same as a mat stat but can control upto 300w. Not suitable for bulbs.

Twin Channel Stat: This is 2 temperature stats in one unit. Not suitable for bulbs.

Pulse Proportional Stat: This is a stat that can control upto a maximum of 600w and is ideal for ceramic heaters but can be used on other heat sources aswell.
It works by emiting pluses of electricity in to the heat source to maintain a constant accurate temperature.

Dimming stats: This is a stat specificaly designed for light bulbs as heat sources but can be used on any other heat source, but does require a minimum of 40w but has a maximum of 600w. it is one of the most accurate stats you can get.
It works similar to the pulse prop stat, but instead of by supplying pulses of power, it supplys a continuous variable supply of power to heat souce. so it is constantly running but not at full power.

All of the above minimum and maximum wattages are based on the 'Habistat' range.

Hope this helps...

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  18:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Useful links:

http://www.eurorep.net/habistat/

http://www.microclimate.co.uk/Stats.htm

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  18:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Daz, good info

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  18:28:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well done Daz.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  18:32:37  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice one Daz.

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  19:14:50  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanx for all that info daz! very useful and im very impressed!

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  19:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No probs guys, glad to be of help...

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
10260 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  22:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sticky Status! Thanks Daz!

Lewy

THE ROYAL PYTHON.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  06:35:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would add that as there is no minimal load for a PP stat they will also keep the most accurate temperature for heatmats which is useful for incubators.

Also, whilst the Habistat thermostats are named nice and simply, the Microclimate ones have names like:

Ministat (Mat Stat)
B1 (Dimming Stat)
B2 (Pulse Proportional Stat)
B1ME (Dimming Stat with Magic Eye - Senses the light change at night and changes the temperature to a pre-defined level)
B2ME (as above for PP)

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2008 :  20:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, for a ceramic bulb, what do you think is best? A Pulse Proportional Stat or a Dimmer Stat?

I have decided (I think) on a 3' viv, and guessing that I need a 75W ceramic bulb for this. But which stat, that is the big question!

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2008 :  21:22:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You don't need Ceramic, I use InfraRed Heat bulbs for mine, but if you do go for Ceramic, either will work, but a PP is cheaper.

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2008 :  22:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Infrared with provide light that humans can see, though, and the viv is in a bedroom (although, I do question how human he is at times; son, not snake!).

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2008 :  23:03:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its only a dim light, good enough to see your snakes, but not bright.

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2008 :  11:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there benefits of infrared over ceramic, other than that it give some light to see the snake?

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2008 :  13:17:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, don't think so, just personal preference

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mm had a microclimate for my bearded dragons. given that im using a mat for heat i take it that the mat stat is the one i will need?
it's a 30watt mat, 572mmx274mm in size

Edited by - MissCat on 08/03/2009 01:02:30
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  08:21:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For a heat mat you can use a Mat Stat or Pulse Proportional, I think even the Microclimate Dimming Stat is suitable as it only needs a low load. The Habistat Dimming Stat is probably the only one you can't use as it has a minimum load of 40W.

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  21:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, can you just use a normal heat bulb with the pp thermostat. if so, how much light does it give off, cuz i dont want the light on too often for the snake?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  21:59:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, a normal bulb on a PP stat will end up as a disco!

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  22:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you said you use an infrared heat lamp, how bright does that get cuz i have an on/off thermostat at the mo, and that is giving my snake 2 much light. so could i keep the on/off and just have a infrared heat bulb so not 2 give off 2 much light. or buy a pp and have that with a ceramic or infrared bulb?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  06:32:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A PP with a Ceramic or a Dimming with an IR. What do you mean its giving off too much light - is it a red bulb?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000