Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  14:16:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, a temp stat is basically a mat stat, if you want a more accurate control, a Pulse Proportional Stat would be much better.

Go to Top of Page

KDRGM
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  22:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VERY EDUCATIONAL Thank you guys

Owned By

1.1.0/ Amelanistic Cornsnake (Amber & D.T.)
2.1.0. Normal/Classic /males het for amber (Marley,Ziggy & Kaya)
0.1.0. Snow cornsnake (Blizzard)
0.0.27. Mostly Amel cornsnakes ( all for sale )

1.0.0. BP (Nesta)

1.1.0. Common Boa's (Ky-Mani & Bobbie)
Go to Top of Page

Sabriyyah
Snake Mite

Qatar
40 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  18:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. is it vital to have a stat? i have an IR bulb and was going to get a dimmer and regulate it myself. my problme is a lack of resources out here.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  18:51:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Will you manually adjust the dimmer then as the heating goes on and off, as the room warms up during the day, as the sun starts shining into the room etc?

Unless you're sitting in front of the viv 24 hours a day I don't see how you would keep the temperature correct.

Go to Top of Page

NandKdev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  18:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have a IR bulb our temp stat is set, but the bulb is on 24/7, but then again we are in UK where it doesnt get hot or we dont have sun shining through the window, so its easily for the bulb just to consistently heat and keep temp, places in US and especially in UAE! you def want a stat to regulate the temp, because your ambient temp the chances are it will be quite hot anyway, the IR bulb on a dimmer will just over heat at high points in the day.

1.0.0 Royal Python - Monty
1.0.0 Yemen Chameleon - George
0.2.0 Dwarf Rabbit - Poppy & Lola
1.0.0 Budgie - Charlie
1.0.0 Siamese fighter - Lil Blue
0.0.2 Newts - Chris & Louie
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2010 :  10:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I-M

Are there benefits of infrared over ceramic, other than that it give some light to see the snake?

one plus is you notice straight away if the bulb stops working with a red one...duno if its so easy to tell with a ceramic

1.0.0 royal "ophion"
1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
0.1.0 coastal carpet python- "serendipity"
0.1.0 bunny rabbit (?) "Truffle"

RIP Prisma Pequeno- Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2010 :  20:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

quote:
Originally posted by I-M

Are there benefits of infrared over ceramic, other than that it give some light to see the snake?

one plus is you notice straight away if the bulb stops working with a red one...duno if its so easy to tell with a ceramic

OMG - you know, I never thought about that! I confess I've only just learned about ceramics being non-light emitting ... Yes, so unless you were monitoring temps every hour, how WOULD you know if the bulb had failed? I use infra-red, and had one of those anxiety dreams about the bulb failing in the middle of the night ...I get up around 4am and patrol the house to check everyone ... It's a good point about ceramics, especially at this time of year, although I believe some stats do incorporate an alarm.

Hi, Sabriyyah, that's a problem, if dimmer stats aren't available in your area. Could you get one imported? I can recommend Blue Lizard in the UK. Hope you get sorted out.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2010 :  22:42:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My thermometers have alarms on them for if they drop below a certain point.

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  11:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have read your topic very interesting, but stilla bit thick, can i use a ceramic heat emitter? but what wattage? and with what thermostat. I have a 3' viv if i use heat bulb do i need only 1. Do not really what to use heat mat i have seen what they can do to a royal, what other types of heating can i use. Please help, think its my age brain dosent fuction very well, but i dont want to go wrong. Thx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  11:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, yes, you only need one ceramic bulb in the viv, and a guard of course - have never used them myself so not exactly an authority, (other people can advise more) but I do know that you need a special ceramic bulb fitting (freely available from reptile suppliers) and that they are usually run with pulse proportional stats.

A good place to look up all this stuff is Blue Lizard, who I get a lot of my supplies from; they often have special offers and usually sell at below RRP. They're very helpful over the phone as well. Also Swellreptiles. And of course this forum lol.

Yeah, a heat mat wouldn't be my choice for a royal, and I sympathise with the age thing (I'm 59 this year lol) but I think it confuses a lot of people. When I fitted my first dimmer stat it was a riot - enough to make the cats laugh and I'm sure the snake was giggling too!

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  12:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx alot, much simpler with a corn, cant wait till i get it all sorted then i can buy a Royal
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  17:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use ceramic bulbs on pulse stats. i would go for a 150 watt in a 3ft viv. i use 150 in both my 3 and 2ft vivs. i tryed a 100 watt first in the 2ft and it didn't get up to temp at hot end for some strange reason.

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Zoe
Yearling

187 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2013 :  13:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so helpful - thank you

I think I need a dimmer stat for use with my 3ft viv and 60w infrared light is that correct?

I like the sound of the microclimate b1me, think that would be ok or too sophisticated for my lil set up? Only had Oscar 6 days, he's shed well but i was constantly opening his viv or switching light on and off to keep temp right.

1.0.0 royal python - Oscar
1.1.0 dogs - Rafferty and Florence
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2013 :  18:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zoe

This is so helpful - thank you

I think I need a dimmer stat for use with my 3ft viv and 60w infrared light is that correct?

I like the sound of the microclimate b1me, think that would be ok or too sophisticated for my lil set up? Only had Oscar 6 days, he's shed well but i was constantly opening his viv or switching light on and off to keep temp right.

Aye that would be fine :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Zoe
Yearling

187 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  09:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers, I've ordered one £37.99 arriving tomorrow

1.0.0 royal python - Oscar
1.1.0 dogs - Rafferty and Florence
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic