Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  22:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you're using a vivarium you'll want a bulb at some point, when they get bigger heat mats can do damage to large bodied snakes.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  23:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two younger royals are always climbing around the guards, and always falling off with a THUMP lol. My older royals like climbing, but seem to ignore the guards.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  10:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have only got young (royal CB2010 MALE )When should i get one it is when i get viv i have just got starter kit now which is pastic one with heat mat
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  13:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the heat mat is under the plastic not inside it then it'll be fine

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  17:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yerr under the plastic
Go to Top of Page

prozacbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
130 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  07:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guybrush loves wrapping around his guard (although only when the light is out) I'll try and get some pics later.

Guybrush (royal python) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csapnto_Q5I

Cassiopeia (Brazilian rainbow boa) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5VQhPP7qVM&NR=1

Smaug (deseart iguana) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZD_SFA8Lg

Axos & Sutekh (cats) http://youtu.be/AFCgZcHXuTU

Nessie & Nemo etc ( tropical fish)
Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  10:09:22  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pythonwizard

do you need a light bulb i have just got heat mat

Yeah I had the same with my Corn snake Shorty.
And will have exact the same with my Royal too.
I don't think bulbs are essential.
Most use them as a sorce of heat more than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  10:10:31  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
P.S: When will I shake of this 'Snake mite' title?? Lol

Edited by - ShadEO9 on 04/04/2012 10:11:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  18:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you need to make 50 posts - you'll get there - seems like only yesterday I was enjoying teasing the mods and being an irritating little snake mite lol!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  18:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS - do I see a new arrival on your sig? When are you going to announce Chief??? Are congrats in order?

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  22:53:20  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chief is sadly still in my local pet store waiting to come home on my birthday which is the 16th April.
Well I say local.
The pet store is like an hour away but I cant seem to help but visit him most days.
Hes such a friendly lil guy I'm itching to have him home now.
As soon as he is I shall post up a new photo and a very excited post to match :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  18:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww - only 10 days to go! I'd feel the same!

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  18:51:14  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Aww - only 10 days to go! I'd feel the same!

I'm counting down the days!

Go to Top of Page

daz2708
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2012 :  23:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i remember when i got my first royal sorted the viv out everything spot on infared bulb hidin places guard so on!! but left such a gap my snake got trapped up the side of th guard!! i'm just glad i checked on her spent the next hr tryin to get her out!! safe to say i havnt made that mistake again guards are a must just make sure they cant get stuck behind them!!:)

0.1.0 normal royal (Cleo)
1.0.0 het lavenda royal (hector)
Staffie (Boo)
And 67 Tarantula's :)
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  10:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of any easy ways of making a gurad? I've never seen them in the reptile shops before...

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  19:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They're a pain to make, I tried myself with a few different materials and just gave up, threw a hissy fit, binned the material and bought one online. Much easier ^^
There is a website (www.customguards.co.uk) which are good, I got mine made to size by ReptilesInk over on RFUK though.

Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  19:56:16  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea, I read and watched a few videos on how to make your own, and it 'looked' easy, but I just know I wouldnt have the patience at all lol. So instead I got one off ebay, and im well chuffed with it. Well made, and even has wee neat latches to open at the bottom for easy access. So Im a happy camper!

For anyone else looking guards, you can try and make one, but its definately easier and better looking to get one online as Kelf suggested.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  22:03:39  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
iv made 2 now, and think there pretty easy to make. im sure i took pics of the first one i was making as a guide but dont know if iv still got them pics but will have a look.
iv made 1 smaller guard for a 100 watt ceramic and one very large gueard for my 250 watt cermic recently. it cost me 6 quid to make both of these, and i can make them to the exact size i want.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  22:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to share a small picture to show the danger involved in ceramic bulbs. Fear not though the carpet in question was of the floor covering variety. I was moving vivariums around and needed to move the a 100 Watt bulb. I switched it off and let it cool for 20 minutes, I unscrewed it with a tea towel as it was still warm on the edges, I got it out and then the bottom bit touched my hand and burnt me, instant reaction was to drop it, it landed bottom down and burnt my carpet.

This bulb was not running at full power due to the stat and had been switched off for about 20 minutes as well.

Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  22:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jebus, they must hold the heat for some time! Just goes to show if it can damage the carpet after this time, imagine what it would do to your snake if it wasnt guarded!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000