Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  20:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone!

It's been a few months since I've got Valhalla and I'm happy with the progress she's made, everything is going well and I'm seriously considering buying a second royal, preferably a morph this time.

However I have literally no space left in my room and as everyone else in the house dislikes snakes I have no chance of getting another viv in another room.

My choice comes down to having two royals in the same viv, I can increase the viv size if needed but I'll never fit in a second.

The shop I bought Valhalla from house a few royals together and I had a lengthy chat with the owner about housing two together the other day, he said they've never had any problem with keeping two royals together in the years and hundreds of snakes they've had, nor does he know anyone who has had any problems with it, although he's heard a few horror stories.

I've read the sticky on this forum posted by (I think it was matty, forgive me if it wasn't) and the replies that follow it which has scared me a little as the last thing I want is to put either snake in danger or in an environment they would dislike.

So just a few questions would really put my mind at rest

1. Does anyone here house two royals in the same viv?
2. If so, anything bad ever happened?
3. I know the weight and size of the snakes should be similar to avoid any problems, however is there any risk to housing snakes of the same gender. I would ideally want another female to be sure I wouldn't end up with any eggs.

And other advice would be great, I would really love getting a second royal and this is the only possible way.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. Isn't there some way to get round the space problem, such as stacking the second viv on top of the first, even if it meant getting rid of some furniture? Or getting one of those beds - captain's beds, are they called? - that have space for desk or sofa - or vivs! - underneath?

I confess I have an open mind on cohabitation with some species of snakes (ouch guys don't shout at me!) but my feelings on cohabbing royals are that, given the fact that, at some future date, even the greediest gannet is going to stop feeding for a while, this could lead to trouble.

Worst case scenario: Snake A is feeding well. Snake B is fasting. Snake A returns to viv after meal one day and snake B, despite being offered a meal and refusing it, smells ratty on snake A and suddenly feels, after a few weeks' or months' fast, very hungry ...

Sorry if this sounds too much like scaremongering - which I do deplore, but I personally wouldn't cohab royals. There again, there may be people out there who have done it and found it a breeze.

Back to the space shortage - what about a RUB. I have an emergency 84lt RUB from Staples, and it's HUGE. I reckon it would be okay for an average royal - not as pretty as a viv, I know, but the snake wouldn't care. And it might be easier to fit into your room.

I do hope you solve this problem and manage to accommodate another snake.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry - can't edit last post - B&Q have even bigger own brand RUBs with more floor space for a longer snake - not as good lid but it could be adapted?

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simple answer, Royals dont co habit in the wild except when breeding.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, burned :D

No way in hell I'll fit in another viv and I don't want to have a rub, there isn't enough space above the viv and it wouldn't be fair to remove furniture seeing how half of it's mine and the other half my girlfriends, can't alter sleeping arrangements for the same reason.

Also in reply to "There again, there may be people out there who have done it and found it a breeze." from what I've heard from anyone I've spoken to who's done it has found it a breeze and the bad things that have happened seem to be mostly speculation or "I heard from somebody else" kind of thing.

Seems not many people do it though which suggests that it's probably not the best idea, will have to see how things go in the room and do a little more research.

Any other input from anyone who's tried it will be great help too.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  06:50:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2922

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  21:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you really want 2 snakes, I suggest getting rid of the viv and putting them on a rack instead of putting them together on one viv. You can stack 2 snakes very comfortably for the size of a viv.

If you can't do that, I say wait until you get a bigger place before getting another royal.

The thing with cohabiting is that, it's great when nothing goes wrong. It's a disaster if something does go wrong. So, basically, the whole time you're doing it, you're hoping nothing goes wrong...

It's like the dog. I really wanted a doberman pinscher. It's my favorite dog. But, my yard is very small and I'm not a runner. So, my doberman will have to live in "apartment-like" conditions with only a little exercise. He could very well thrive just fine in that small space. But, it definitely not the best situation for the natural requirements of a doberman pinscher. So, I got me a bichon frise instead. It would be the same for the snakes.

Me, personally, I took on the responsibility of being "god" to these snakes. They're completely dependent on me, so I will have to do everything in my power to give them the best situation. Royals are solitary snakes. It is against their nature to co-habit. So, I try to let them be solitary. And that's not even taking into consideration that if one gets sick - both will have to go to the vet - that's double vet bills all around.

Just my 2 cents.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  22:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That makes sense Anatess.

I think I'll have to abandon the idea of a second snake for now then, thanks for the opinions everyone.

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hello i would not do it tbh, but dave (a man from the petshop i got mine from houses a corn and a royal together and he says they get on perfectly well, but karen (th woman who owns the shop has said when she has housed some together she has had 1 eat another and regurgitate it so she had a half digested snake in her sop 1 day.

i think they where young royals.

im not trying to scare you but you can get problems and the 1 karen had is prob a worsed case scenario.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  21:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah from what I've heard its best to house two adults together rather than children, but I agree I've decided against the co-habiting idea.

Think I'll just kick my girlfriend out and replace her area with snakes *grin*

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  23:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Yeah from what I've heard its best to house two adults together rather than children, but I agree I've decided against the co-habiting idea.

Think I'll just kick my girlfriend out and replace her area with snakes *grin*

LOL - poor Victoria!

(Though I can recommend being single and thinking, sod the sofa, I want another viv!)

Seriously though, and I understand your dislike of rubs - I don't care for them myself except as emergency standbys (this area's had a couple of bad floods so I need spare equipment more than other people) from what you say I get the impression you plan eventually to move to a bigger space (sorry don't mean to be nosey.) But, this is just off the top of my head - what about buying a hatchling and keeping it in a rub at first? And if you're after a morph you would have more scope for your money? Perhaps by the time the young one had grown large enough to need a full sized viv, you would be moving to a bigger place and space should not be as much of a problem?

Sorry if this is useless advice, but it was just a thought - it's rotten luck to want another snake and not be able to make room for it.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  15:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Seriously though, and I understand your dislike of rubs - I don't care for them myself except as emergency standbys

Waaa! I just bought 6 64L RUBs that I'm going to move my snakes into. It was okay caring for 4 snakes in their vivs but now that we have 7, I'm telling the kids we're moving them to RUBs before I break my back taking care of all these vivs. I like the "easy wipe off" option of the RUBs and the "constant 50% humidity" I get out of them.

I'm currently making them pretty... I'll post pics after I'm done. Who knows you might like it and then you can get them stacked up to hold 4 snakes in your room! :D

The 50L is actually big enough - and it's not as tall as the 64. Actually, the 33L is even big enough - and that's only like 6 inches tall... unless you got a 4000g breeder female...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  15:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

quote:

Seriously though, and I understand your dislike of rubs - I don't care for them myself except as emergency standbys

Waaa! I just bought 6 64L RUBs that I'm going to move my snakes into. It was okay caring for 4 snakes in their vivs but now that we have 7, I'm telling the kids we're moving them to RUBs before I break my back taking care of all these vivs. I like the "easy wipe off" option of the RUBs and the "constant 50% humidity" I get out of them.

I'm currently making them pretty... I'll post pics after I'm done. Who knows you might like it and then you can get them stacked up to hold 4 snakes in your room! :D

The 50L is actually big enough - and it's not as tall as the 64. Actually, the 33L is even big enough - and that's only like 6 inches tall... unless you got a 4000g breeder female...

LOL - know what you mean about vivs being backbreaking!

I once contributed on another forum to a thread about 'are snakes a potential health hazard?' or words to the effect. I said that the issues of bites and salmonella didn't alarm me, but that at the moment I was in a lot of pain from wriggling about like a contortionist,fixing climbing branches and foliage in a floor level viv ... ouch!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never liked the idea of housing snakes in rubs, no offence to anyone who does of course, I know a lot of breeders have to.

It just kind of feels too much like storage to me, like I've got a filing cabinet full of snakes :P

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Lizard rep supplies (sorry I can't post links but easy to google) has a 24"x15x15 viv for £61 and their other equipment is, I think, competitively priced - delivery free on orders over £50. I've used them twice; they are friendly and reliable. That size viv could be okay for a younger snake?(well, I know there are differing views on this - I'm of the school of thought that provides a bit more space and loads of hides! - sorry not intending to knock other views!) And it would only take up the same space as a rub?

Just a thought?

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  19:13:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh thanks I'll do some measuring tomorrow. I think I might even fit a full sized one in if I move some shelves and stack the second viv ontop, although I'll have to find somewhere unorthodox to place the shelves, like above my head :P hope nothing falls on me haha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  12:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  15:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I went to Havant reptile show today and despite all I've said in this very thread about housing snakes in rubs I couldn't resist getting another snake.

I bought a 1 month old royal who is a male 100% het pied according to his little certificate :)

Very happy with him now that I've set up his rub for him, it's a little too big but I'll add some hides in a bit so he feels less scared. I'll post some photos next week when I get him out :D

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw, that's great. congrats!

So glad you got your snakey, and I believe Victoria's nervous of Valhalla? Getting to know a tiny one with cute 'puppydog eyes' as MissCat puts it, might do wonders for her confidence. And het pied too ... perfect husband for Valhalla!

Really pleased to hear you got your new addition!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

And het pied too ... perfect husband for Valhalla!!

Christ why did you say that. Victoria just said "We can get them little bow-ties and get them marrrrrriiiiiied!"

Thanks for the congrats :D I'm really happy with him, I put in a cardboard box that came with a light I bought for Valhalla as a hide but he seems a bit confused by it and has taken to laying ontop of it instead of inside it... Silly snake.

Victoria is still thinking of a name for him and currently is tied between Diablo and Jasper.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

quote:

And het pied too ... perfect husband for Valhalla!!

Christ why did you say that. Victoria just said "We can get them little bow-ties and get them marrrrrriiiiiied!"

Thanks for the congrats :D I'm really happy with him, I put in a cardboard box that came with a light I bought for Valhalla as a hide but he seems a bit confused by it and has taken to laying ontop of it instead of inside it... Silly snake.

Victoria is still thinking of a name for him and currently is tied between Diablo and Jasper.

LOL - I nearly regurged my lunch!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000